- GIPHY is the best way to search, share, and discover GIFs on the Internet. Similar to the way other search engines work, the majority of our content comes from indexing based on the best and most popular GIFs and search terms across the web. We organize all those GIFs so you can find the good content easier and share it out through your social channels. We also feature some of our favorite GIF artists and work with brands to create and promote their original GIF content.
- Visit giphy.com/upload. We accept both .gif files and video files, and offer the best selection of sharing options once your GIF is hosted on GIPHY. Learn more about uploads: giphy.com/posts/how-to-upload-gifs-to-giphy.
- Visit giphy.com/upload. Stickers are just like GIFs, except they have a transparent layer in the file. Our system will automatically recognize that transparency - You don't have to do anything else! Learn more about uploads: giphy.com/posts/how-to-upload-gifs-to-giphy.
- GIPHY accounts are free and let you save all of your uploaded and favorited GIFs to one easy-to-find place. GIPHY GIFs also play on Facebook and Twitter. We can even get them onto Instagram! To create an account, visit giphy.com/join. (If you're a brand and would like to create an official brand account i.e. giphy.com/gameofthrones, please visit our sign up page to get in touch).
- You can delete a GIF or update its tags and source URL if you were logged in when you uploaded it. To edit your GIF, click in the top right corner of your GIF. Then add tags, source URL, or delete the GIF. Note: you can only edit GIFs that you have uploaded to GIPHY.
- Above every GIF on GIPHY.com, there is a dropdown menu labeled with an ellipses, like this: [...]. Tap that, and select "Flag this GIF," and choose the relevant issue from the dropdown. You have to be logged in with an account to flag a GIF – if you need help flagging, feel free to email email@example.com.
- Unless you're an official GIPHY partner or artist, all GIFs uploaded are private, whether you upload the GIF while logged in or anonymously. All uploaded GIFs stay private until the user who uploaded chooses to share the link to the GIF.
- Our file size limit is 100MB and the GIF or movie files can be no longer than 15 seconds.
- GIPHY accepts .gif (say what!?), mp4, mov, mpg, and m4v file formats. You can also upload .pngs and .jpgs to create slideshows in our GIFMaker.
- Yes! Proper attribution is incredibly important to GIPHY. We want every GIF on our site to link back to its original creator. If you spot a source URL that is incorrect, please email firstname.lastname@example.org with the Giphy URL and the link to the correct original source URL.
- Having correct tags on our GIFs is essential for our user experience. If you see something is wrong, we want to know! Email email@example.com with the GIF URL and any corrections needed.
- For a GIF to play inline on Twitter, you need to use GIPHY's hyperlink found on the selected GIF's Copy Link page. Place the link at the end of your tweet as the last links in the tweet are previewed. The GIF will animate inline on Twitter!
- For a GIF to play in the NewsFeed or on your profile, you need to use GIPHY's hyperlink found on the selected GIF's permalink page. The link must be the first link in the post. Once the GIF is previewed in the post, its url can be removed!
- You can send stickers in iMessage by downloading GIPHY's mobile app and opening it in your iMessage app drawer. From there, search for the sticker you'd like, and then press to drag and drop it into your message. To share a sticker in your Instagram story, tap the "GIF" button in your Instagram Story decoration area, then search for your sticker, tap, and place on your story!
- We're always on the lookout for new GIF artists to showcase. If you would like to be considered for inclusion in our featured artist directory, shoot us a link to your GIPHY channel page and your blog/portfolio/website to firstname.lastname@example.org. You must have at least 10 GIFs or stickers on your channel to submit. Please note that this opportunity is only open to visual artists at this time, and that submissions emailed without any portfolio will not be considered. GIPHY Artist accounts are intended for artists who would like to create and distribute original visual artwork – commercial and other uses will not be accepted. All other inquiries should be directed to email@example.com.
- We love working with brands to help power their GIFs. Visit our sign up page to apply to learn more about what a partnership with GIPHY entails.
- In addition to all the features of being an official GIPHY partner, Verified Channels will now power “Social Search” - the ability to search specific channels anywhere GIPHY powers GIF distribution. Simply type “@username + any tag” to get content from your favorite creators. This will be available on GIPHY, as well as integrations within Facebook Messenger, Twitter’s GIF button, Tinder, Slack, Twitch, Outlook and many others. Only Partner and Artist Channels can be Verified at this time. You can tell a Channel is verified because there will be a blue badge next to the Channel Name (example: giphy.com/starwars).
- Only official GIPHY Partners and Artists can be Verified at this time. If you are a GIF Artist or represent an official Brand or organization, you can apply for a GIPHY Channel here: giphy.com/join/apply. Keep in mind it might take a little longer for us to get you Verified – we get a lot of requests.
- If you already have an official Partner Channel, look for the blue Verified badge on your Channel and on your GIF pages - it should be right next to your Channel Name. If you don’t see it and wish to have your Partner Channel verified, send your information and username to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll look into it! Please be patient as we are working on gradually verifying existing Partners.
- Users will now be able to search specifically within Verified GIPHY Artist and Partner Channels from a lot of the places GIPHY supports GIF & Sticker Search, by entering “@username” followed by a tag. This works everywhere GIPHY supports GIF Search, like GIPHY’s Search Bar, Twitter’s GIF button, Facebook Messenger, Slack, Tinder, Twitch, MS Outlook, just to name a few! Keep in mind this will only work for Verified Channels for the time being.
- Yes we do! The GIPHY API is open to the public and allows any developers to insert animated GIF content into their applications with ease. Check out the documentation and get info on how to access the API here: https://developers.giphy.com/
WHAT IS A GIF VIEW ON GIPHY?
- A view is counted every time a GIF has been served through GIPHY’s services or technology. A GIF view on GIPHY is a signal of several key performance indicators including relevance, shareability, and popularity.
DO YOU COUNT LOOPS, LIKE VINE?
- No. A single view is counted when a GIF is served, regardless of how many times it loops.
HOW MANY SECONDS DO I HAVE TO WATCH FOR IT TO COUNT ?
- A view is counted the instant a GIPHY GIF is served.
WHERE CAN I SEE THE VIEW COUNT?
- At this time, GIF view counts are only available for official GIPHY Artist and Partner content on GIPHY.com. Aggregate GIF view counts are available for official Artist and Partner Channels on GIPHY.com. Official Artist and Partner account managers have the option to turn off public view counts on their content. To become an official Artist or Partner on GIPHY, sign up here.
- On the GIF detail page, the view count can be seen on the right side of the GIF under the social share icons. For example, this is a GIF’s page on GIPHY. The GIF is by Domitille Collardey, an artist at GIPHY Studios.
- On an official Artist or Partner Channel, the aggregated view count can be seen on the left side of the channel underneath the avatar. For example, this is an official Partner Channel on GIPHY. The channel is home to GIFs by GIPHY Studios.
WHY DON'T SOME GIFS HAVE VIEW COUNTS?
- For now, only official Artist or Partner GIFs and their corresponding Channels will display view counts. Official Accounts can turn off user-facing view counts on their GIFs and Channels, if they choose. To become and official Artist or Partner on GIPHY, sign up here.
GIFS HAVE BEEN ON THE INTERNET FOR DECADES. WHEN DID GIPHY START COUNTING VIEWS?
- GIFs have been around for 30 years. However, GIPHY has only been around for 4 years, so our data only goes back that far.
- GIPHY begins measuring view counts after a GIF is added to the GIPHY services. For a GIF uploaded two years ago, it will have two years worth of data reflected in its view count. For a GIF uploaded two hours ago, it will have two hours worth of data reflected in its view count.
WHAT IS A CHANNEL VIEW COUNT?
- An official GIPHY Artist or Partner Channel page displays two numbers: the total number of GIFs on the Channel and the aggregated view count of those GIFs. Once a GIF is uploaded to an official Channel, the GIF is counted in the total number of GIFs on the Channel and its views contribute to the total GIF view count of the Channel.
- For example, this is the official GIPHY Studios Channel.
IF I SEND THE SAME GIF TO SOMEONE MULTIPLE TIMES, DOES THAT COUNT AS ONE VIEW OR MULTIPLE VIEWS?
- Similar to how YouTube measures views, GIPHY view counts are not unique by user. As is industry standard, the GIF view count measures total volume of uses.
HOW CAN I GET MORE VIEWS FOR MY GIFS?
- The more GIFs you make and share on GIPHY, the more views you’ll get! Contact your representative at GIPHY for recommendations on how to maximize the performance of your Channel and your GIFs.
Make GIFs for free using:
- Creation Tools on giphy.com
- GIPHY Capture for Mac desktop
- GIPHY Cam on iOS or Android
- GIPHY Says on iOS
Share GIFs quick and easily using: